In a nutshell
I have over 20 years experience as a digital designer & front end developer with a passion for UX. A large percentage of my business principally involves sketching, wireframes and visual design to solve a particular problem. I balance the needs of users with the business goals of the client, understanding the audience whilst considering client requirements.
I like to build the sites I design and so 50% of my time is spent coding clean, functional and accessible HTML & CSS using standard, modern web technologies like SASS, Gulp, JQuery & Git to build accessible and responsive websites that can be accessed and viewed across all devices.
When I’m out of the office I’m a keen runner. I enjoy staying active and I’m normally training for one race or another. I’m into football and photography, I particularly take enjoyment travelling to different countries to better my camera skills.
Since 2010 (2018 full time)
Designer & Front end Developer
- Worked with several small businesses providing design and development services.
- Most recently, building game changing websites for the likes of Taro Pumps, and South Yorkshire Housing Association, rebuilding and integrating agency website with WordPress for Arke Agency and The Floow and creating a website for popular a local restaurant Smoke BBQ.
- Managed projects and resources throughout the process, using Trello to track progress.
August 2014 – January 2018
Senior Interaction Designer
- Working in a digital agency as part of a multi-disciplined team, crafting user focused and accessible solutions, in collaboration with development team to ensure technical feasibility and accurate design implementation.
- Responsible for introducing a design system combining a style guide and pattern library, where I built and maintain the front end framework.
- Mentoring junior team members.
- Lead designer in the mobile-first approach of the London Luton Airport website.
Largely designing in browser, I was responsible for front end delivery, taking part in daily scrums to provide workable solutions.
- Design and front end support for large organisations such as PayPoint, Westfield Health, Irwin Mitchell & The Priory Group, typically using Invision to communicate design work and gather feedback from clients.
- Facilitating workshops including sketching workshops to drive out business and user requirements.
- Involved in the UX design process, producing personas, user journey’s and wireframes when needed.
- Other projects include SEB Biology, Amrita Nutrition, Texthelp, Stowe & Residence One.
The Blue Cube, Birmingham
June 2012 – Nov 2013
Designer & Front end Developer
- Worked on several large campaigns, developing visual concepts for clients like Louis Fraser and SLR.
- Challenging responsive front end build for clients including Debenhams, Spear & Jackson, EBRD & ImROC.
- Built WordPress themes that are easy to edit and update, and provided on-site training for clients.
- Managed several projects where I’d write proposals, schedule work and communicate directly with the client through to and beyond launch.
- Helped the company stay up to date with modern techniques, such as switching to SASS and moving towards a responsive workflow.
Feb 2006 – June 2012
- In my first full time role as a designer, I’d produce visual concepts for websites.
- Built custom, hand-coded websites in HTML & CSS using Dreamweaver (I know!).
- Managed the commission for development of an internal CMS and eCommerce solution, responsible for the UI design and front end development.
- Created print artwork for brochures, flyers & posters, exhibitions stands, business cards and email campaigns.
- Built HTML emails, running marketing campaigns both internally and for clients.
- Produced animated banners and website animations using Flash.
- GNVQ Engineering
- D32/33; NVQ Assessor training
- City & Guilds 7307; Certificate in teaching adult learners
- TEFL; Teaching English as a foreign language.
- Grades A-C including Maths, English and Science